Citrus Ribbon Cookies
Posted by bakingway
Several years ago, I discovered this recipe on the Land ‘O Lakes Butter website. After trying it for my own family, I decided to add it to my Spring collection of cookies at the bakery. These tri-colored cookies are pretty and, with all the flavors of spring, very fresh! Make these one day and freeze until ready to bake. Makes approx. 5 dozen cookies. (This recipe easily doubles and triples!)
Cream in mixer bowl: 1 # Butter, room temp.
Add to the Butter:
2 cups Sugar
Add one at a time:
2 Eggs, room temp.
Add and mix to well incorporate:
5 cups AP Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
Empty the dough onto the counter and divide the dough into 3 parts. Flatten each part of dough and form a “well” in the center of each.
Into 1 part dough add: 1 tsp. Lime Zest and 3 Tabl. Lime Juice (a couple drops of green food color, optional)
Into second part of the dough add: 1 tsp. Orange Zest and 3 Tabl. Orange Juice (a couple drops of orange food color, optional)
Into the third part of the dough add: 1 tsp. Lemon zest and 3 Tabl. Lemon Zest (a couple drops of yellow food color, optional)
1. Knead each flavor of the dough, dusting with a bit of flour if necessary to incorporate flavor/color.
2. Divide each flavor/color into 2 and roll each into equal rectangles approx. 2″3 wide and 12″ long.
1. On plastic wrap, place 1 strip of orange dough. Brush the top with a bit of water.
2. Place the lime strip of dough on top of the orange. Brush the top with a bit of water.
3. Place the lemon strip of dough on top. Wrap completely in plastic wrap.
4. Repeat with remaining 3 strips of dough.
When ready to bake: With a sharp knife on cutting board cut into slices approx. 1/4″ thick. Place 1/2″ apart on cookie sheets (lined with parchment or greased). Bake 12-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. DO NOT ALLOW TO BROWN.